Monday, October 5, 2009

Entertaining Through Wrestling

Where do i even begin?? You see for me pro wrestling wasnt something i stumbled across when i was channel surfing one day when i was 10 years old. Pro wrestling was something i was raised on. My grandfather is from Jackson, Mississppi. So that means pro wrestling was something that was a must and a ritual to watch when i was younger. I grew up on the southern rasslin as my grandparents would say, starting to watch around the age of 2 when i wanted to be one man and one man only STING!!!!!! The NWA/WCW was to me like the Lakers to the WWF's Clippers. Dont get me wrong i loved watching the WWF and i idolized Bret "Hitman" Hart and i still do til this day, but WCW was just about athletic competition. To me WCW felt more "real" as some people would say, it felt as if the guys went out there and really fought to win even if it was just two rookies trying to get noticed. Thats what really captivated me. I remember having my VHS copy of Beach Blast 93 and seeing Ric Flair beat Barry Windham for the NWA World Title and the main event with the Masters of the Powerbomb of Sid Vicious and Big Van Vader against Sting and Davey Boy Smith. That has to be one of my favorite PPVs i ever seen. I hated other sports i didnt really have any friends and the few i did have liked wrestling but they weren't in love with it like i was. I used to cry when i couldnt watch wrestling on TV thats how serious my obsession with it was. I remember my first WWF magazine had Money Inc. on the cover in 1993 with the WWF Tag Titles on them and then saying to my lil brother that was going to be us one day my mom even bought me the tag team toy belts that i still have til this day. But the one thing i said i always wanted to do in life was be the Intercontinental champion. For me i was always a bigger fan of the Intercontinental guys. Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Bulldog, Marty Jannetty, Razor Ramon, Mr Perfect, Owen Hart etc etc were the ones i liked to see wrestle. I used to even make belts out of paper. I would watch a video and when theref would hold the belt upinto the camera i would pause it and then start drawing it. I even have a picture of me with my paper belts from like 1996 or so holding up the NWO sign. I followed wrestling thru the ups and downs, the highs and lows, the Hulk Hogans the Stone Colds the John Cenas. It pisses me off when i hear people say "Wow u still watch that i used to watch it when Stone Cold was around." Wrestling is a livelihood a religion to me i kneel at the alter of all things Pro Wrestling. I first started my wrestling training in November of 2007 in a backyard in Norwalk, Ca. The trainers at the time were Johnny Suarez and Chris Davila. Just them showing us how to bump and take clotheslines and some conditioning. At that time it was just Javi, Pinky, Roland, Frank, Mike, Lou, Isaac, Jaime, and myself. Then around January 2008 or so Kaos, Angel, and Mongol became our head trainers and the SBWA was born. A lil while later Supreme came in as a trainer along with BC Killer and Robby Pheonix. Then more guys started joining i remember at one time there was about 20 of us and believe me when i say it was so many people that i would get annoyedbecause after training i didnt feel like i got enough ring time. Then i was cut from the school in April of 2008 for various reasons but the door was open for me to come back. Then i started training at Charles Mercury's school in Stanton, Ca. All the while i would still hit up Kaos asking if they needed any help or anything just to show them that i was still committed to the cause. Long and behold i was back at the school a month after i got cut and a month before they told me i could come back. When i first came back i had a lot of confidence issues. I felt that i wasnt as good as my peers and just kinda felt like i was out of it. The first day i came back i took about 50 running bumps in a row and i literally had an asthma attack. I looked up to other guys in the class as leaders and as guys i wanted to be as good as. At that time Javi and Mike to me were the cream of the SBWA crop. They were getting everything right and doing the drills and could execute the moves and i would fumble stuff and forget spots and thats when i said to myself i will be the one who everyone looks up to and lead by example. I wanted to be the measuring stick in terms of wrestling ability. I was never to big on the show aspect of wrestling. Nowadays i enjoy guys like Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Super Dragon, Alex Shelley, Bryan Danielson, Davey Richards, KENTA and the list goes on. Guys who probably arent the best on the mic or the most colorful but guys who could wrestle and guys who are focused on giving u a good wrestling performance instead of just a few trademark moves and then take it home. Thats how i wanted to perform and wrestle i want to be the guy on the show that entertains people using wrestling as a sport instead of being a sports entertainer. I still watch WWE and TNA but i dont really follow it as religiously as i do companies like Ring of Honor or Pro Wrestling Guerrila or Dragon Gate or Noah based out of Japan. Those are the companies i strive to work for and those are the fans i try to entertain. Those are the fans that will remember my performance and if its good enough will praise or will dissect my ability and critique me and thats how i feel i will get better. As of January 17, 2009 i can say that i am a PRO WRESTLER. My primary company is EvoLucha Entertainment Wrestling but ive also worked for Hybrid Pro Wrestling and MWF Lucha Libre. Im thankful for all the work my trainers and fellow classmates have put into making our shows a success and for giving us a place to wrestle here in SoCal and area that hasits own share of cliques. while i know theres some thing i wanna get better at and things i need toget better at i think i candook when its time to get in the ring and get the job done. I wrestle to win even if its in defeat i still win because i know that i went out there with the objective to give the people a good competitve match and thats what i measure my matches on. I may not the be the best talker on the mic or the most charasmatic with the audience, but the one thing that i feel as though i could do well is the "W" in most federations initials and that is wrestling. More on Damien Arsenick: "IRON WARRIOR" DAMIEN ARSENICK @






No comments:

Post a Comment