Friday, September 18, 2009

Wrestling School The Begining The Evolution of Ray Mejia


(Final Saturday of 2008) - Well, today was the first of my training. What training you ask? I am currently enrolled in Santino Brothers Wrestling Academy. Yes, I'm actually training to become a professional wrestler. I'm chasing my dream....

It had to be the longest week ever as I prepared and waited for today to come. I couldn't even sleep last night. That excited/nervous feeling completely overwhelmed me. I was finally going to find out if I really had what it takes to be a wrestler.

8:30 am. Woody and I arrive. We stretch and prepare for a mile run. I didn't do too bad, 7:43. We then proceeded to mats, the rest of the class went to the ring. Our instrutor for the morning, a former XPW Televeision Champion, Kaos, gave us our morning warm-up.

Push ups. Squats. Lunges. Crunches. Then push ups again. My body wasn't quite ready for that, but hey who cares, right? We then had to demostrate our grappling skills, which meant we had to shoot wrestle with no striking against someone in the class. I would later find out that we would grappling with the entire class of about 10-15 people.

I finish my first match, I stand up casually and walk over to the stand of the building where I proceed to vomit. No food, just water. It was horrible, I never work myself that hard very often. Everyone got a good laugh at the rookie throwing up on the side.

When I gained my composure back, I went back and had to do another match. I wrestled probably around 9 or 10 matches, against bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced opponents. I got lucky with 2 wins. I pretty much got my ass kick.
None worse then by Mongol, one of the instructors. He look very eager to take the rookies for a test drive. Woody goes first and gets destroyed. I wouldn't be as lucky, he took his time with me. Like I said I got my ass kicked.

So after all the grappling we had to finish with some curcuits. That meant rotating to four different stations and doing different excercises four one minute. After everything we have endured, Woody and I had to get into the ring and have one final shoot match. I was exhausted, there was no one I could defend myself. We lock up......

I was exhausted, I had cotton-mouth, my muscles ached and I was standing in a middle of a wrestling ring standing across from Woody who was equally tired. The rest of the class surrounded the ring and began pounding the mat furiously. The instructors stood on the apron and shouted for us to grapple.
We lock up...

Now, Woody has a the height, weight and strength advantage on me, needless to say this wasn't going to be easy. We lock up, we roll, he goes for a rear naked choke, I roll out, I get a cramp in my left hamstring. he puts me in the guard. Everyone is shouting, everything is happening so fast. I go for a choke, Woody blocks, I get a cramp in my right hamstring. Stay calm, stay in control. Think. Think.

Heel hook. It beat him before it can probably beat him again. I have locked in, it's hurting him, he's screaming, but he's not tapping. I can't squeeze and I can't pull, I have nothing left. But wait, it gets better. Woody locks me in an ankle lock as well.

I roll us on to our stomach, luckily I was in his guard so when we rolled I was on top of his back. I wrenched back and got the submission victory. I crawled out the ring and thought I was going to vomit again. Thankfully, I didn't....

.....There is an endless supply of pain. I'm talking "can't even get up out of bed the next day" pain.

One day in particular, I was placed in the corner and chopped 11 times. 11 TIMES!!!! My chest was bleeding, and the following week I had a giant hicky on my chest. Chicks dig scars, right?

I was given the chance to film our very first show on Jan. 17th. The show was in Newhall and we had one hell of a show. We sold out the house and really entertained the crowd. I never wanted to get into the ring more than that day. It only motivated me even more to someday perform for fans.

I've also been able to combine two loves. Wresltling and film editing. I film the shows and then I make the highlight videos. I've couldn't ask for a better deal. Thank the heavens for dropping this in my lap.

I'm very eager for whats in store.... I can tell honestly right now, I'm hating life right now. My legs, neck, and face are all sore. I can't even sit down or stand up.

Its worth it, and I know it's going to get better. Make sure to check back and find out how I'm doing. Until next time.

Ray on Myspace!

Check out Santino Bros. Wrestling Academy:







No comments:

Post a Comment