Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I must start with this confession, there was a time long ago when i thought pro wrestling was a joke.



I must start with this confession, there was a time long ago when i thought pro wrestling was a joke. It wasn't till the 8th grade that i finally gave wrestling a fair chance. My 6 closest friends always played all the wrestling video games that were out and that was my first introduction. Next was WWE Sunday Night Heat. At this time in school i was in drama class and wanted to become an actor. Wrestling seemed to wrap up all the drama, acting, stunt work and entertainment into one great package. I was hooked. Then one night before dinner at my friends house i remember watching ECW. Tommy Dreamer vs. Justin Credible fro the world championship. as the match was reaching its climax... it hit me like a steel chare... This is what i want to do with my life... I WANT TO BE A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER!

I was a freshmen in high school and we didn't have a wrestling team but we did have drama class and tv production, so that's what i did. Later I joined the track and field team and spent just as much if not more time in the weight room as I did on the track or the field. After graduating I remained active in track and field as well as cross country by coaching for the high school. In Jr College i conditioned for the decathlete. I never ended up competing in an event do to the fact that my heart just wasn't in it. I considered returning to Hopkido and began sparing with my close friend who was training for MMA.

As 2004 started to come to and end one of my good friends, who also shared the dream of professional wrestling, got a flyer for a small inde show out in Anaheim for a WPW/PCW show.
It wasn't the same as what we had been religiously watching on tv. This was a hole new style, LuchaLibre! After the show we asked around and found the promoter. We told him we wanted to learn and he told us when to show up... so we did. And when we went back i was unexpectedly reunited with an old family friend i hadn't seen in ages, Steve aka Steve Pain. We all trained together 3 days a week. Alan and i helped with the shows on Sundays while Steve did his thing in the ring. I finally got the chance to wrestle a show. I had no real gimmick or story. Just on the card to fill time. My first match was an over the top battle royal. Didn't win it but didn't care. My next match the week after was in a tag match, my first win. But this would all come to a slow fade when my training and road partner and good friend Alan would need to stop wrestling to go in for knee sugery on his ACL.

I began to re think my game plan. I got back into school full time and cut out the wrestling shows. The hard part about that was paying for all the units. So i got a second job to help. I still went to training but things just didn't feel the same without my friend there. Steve and i kept in close contact and he would make me find time for us to hang out together. Every time we talked he would tell me to not let the fire die out. I would remind him that wrestling as still and always would be number one in my life. We went out to the first RevX show to help ring crew and i got the itch. I got the opportunity try to help a start up company. It was called Ocean City Wrestling and i worked with The Young Bucks and Diablo but it didn't last long. From the end of 2005 through 2006 i wrestled for MWF, and there in east LA CLAYBOY was born, even wrestling Christmas night and on Jan 1st. I quit my first job and eventually dropped out of school (not cool). And just as things started to get hot... i was popped with the biggest cut off of my life. I had a hernia and needed sugery.

It was 2007 and I felt low and alone. Alan had moved for school and Steve was traveling fare and wide for wrestling. After my surgery the doc told me no physical activity for almost 6 months do to the area of the hernia and slight risk it could re surface. I thought of starting back up in school again but knew i didn't have the money. So to kill the time i spent too many of my nights under the dirty lights of Hollywood. I found that i had picked up a "Side Job" at a few clubs as i got way to mixed up in the music money and women. Had i lost sight of my education and dreams... before i could see it myself i once again had an unexpected run in with the Under Rated SuperStar himself... my friend Steve Pain.

Steve and i had a lot of caching up to do the only way we knew how, be hitting every club and party scene as hard as we could. Naturally the topic of wrestling came up and Steve told me about this new place to train. It didn't take long but i could see why Steve wasn't all that happy with wrestling at this point. I got the feeling that we really just didn't fit in with the way this dojo like facility was being run. So in 2008 we hit the road to Norwalk to find ourselves in the hands of The Santino Bros! On January 17th i was reborn as the heart breakin ass kickin money make'n jaw droppin PLAYBOY CLAY MOTLEY!

Here in EvoLucha i feel home, i feel better then ever. This year I've proudly done most of my work with EvoLucha, even going toe to toe with my mentor Steve Pain. Together we've done shows with L.L.I.I. in Ocean Side and HPW. With everything that we've seen and experienced in all these companies and feds here, we want the world to know that someone who is born in SoCal wrestling isn't limited to the west coast. Clay Motley wants to take his dream of Professional Wrestling all around the globe, and it starts here. In the long run i'm preparing for the larger big time companies such as Ring Of Honor, TNA and eventually the one and only WWE. I believe in hope, i believe in discipline, i believe in sacrifice and i believe in myself. I AM THE PLAYBOY AND MY MANE IS CLAY MOTLEY! Are you ready for the after party?

More on Clay Motley
"PLAYBOY" CLAY MOTLEY

Clay on Myspace!

Check out Santino Bros. Wrestling Academy:









No comments:

Post a Comment